Thursday, December 09, 2004

Cupertino Teacher Ignites Firestorm in education, religious communities. Christianity and the Declaration of Independence: What's okay to say?

Unless you’re Rip Van Winkle, you’ve probably been noticing a growing divide in the nation, especially in the Bay Area, between people who are “religious” and people who are “non-religious.” The 2004 election crystallized just how divided this country is, and how poorly we talk about our differences, and similarities.

But it just got messier.

A fifth-grade teacher from Cupertino is suing the school district in which he works because he claims his principal violated his First Amendment rights when she prohibited him from using handouts that discussed the role of God and the Bible in colonial-era history. Stephen Williams, a 38-year old history teacher, said that the district is taking the idea of separation of church and state too far by prohibiting him from talking about the role of religion (specifically Christianity) when talking about the founding of America. Parents and district officials are accusing Williams of slanting his instruction in order to proselytize.

You can read the whole article here.

As usual, the major media outlets, including the San Jose Mercury News, are doing a pretty poor job of covering the meat of what looks to be one of the major problems now facing America: the growing sense of alienation that people who share vastly different religious views feel toward the “other” side.

The issue here is particularly tense because the kids are involved. In my experience, parents want their kids to go to school and learn good things. A problem arises, however, when they feel that the schools are teaching their children things that they, as parents, don’t agree with. This makes parents feel like they’re being betrayed. Like the Pied Piper is coming to take their children, marching them into a scary sea of dangerous ideology. For example:

• Some parents get upset when birth control is taught in sex education courses. This offends their sensibilities, sometimes their religious convictions, that only abstinence should be taught.

• Sometimes, it’s about science and whether science teachers leave room in their curriculum for Creationism. Sometimes, parents’ religious convictions get challenged when they hear the very word “evolution.” More like “evil-lution.”

• And sometimes, the tables are turned, and it’s religious convictions of the teachers that make the parents uncomfortable. This is the case in Cupertino.

Since I’m both a Christian and a public school teacher, I’d like to attempt comment on some of the things I’m seeing. I don’t have all the answers, but I do know that unless religious and non-religious people start honestly communicating, we’re going to be in for a long, hard season.


WHY WOULD A CHRISTIAN SUE?
First of all, I’m very suspect about Mr. William’s decision to sue. As a school teacher, I know that there are certain channels you go through in order to resolve conflict, especially about your subject matter. Probably the very, very, very last channel is the county court system. There are about 100 other avenues Mr. Williams could, and should have gone down before he called in high profile legal teams, the most important being talking to the parents of the kids in his class and his colleagues.

Two yeas ago, a fellow teacher of mine once walked into my classroom after school while I was praying with a student. He “reported” me, and filed a grievance with the principal.

Now, I hate conflict, so this one was particularly hard for me. But I knew that something had really bothered my co-teacher, so I went right to him and we talked for a long time. I listened patiently to him and then I patiently explained how I wasn’t violating any rules. The student had approached me. The student and I shared the same religious beliefs, even went to the same church. And it was after school hours. The principal listen to both of us, and in the end, we all understood each other better. In fact, we’re probably closer than we were before.

I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t have happened if I sued him and the school for discrimination. This whole thing is beginning to smell sour to me, like it’s less about religion and more about politics. Of course, I feel that way anytime I see anyone on FOX news.

So many Christians don’t understand that even if you win a legal battle, you can still lose. Big time. Because the battle isn’t about laws, it’s about people’s hearts. When are people going to realize that it’s conversation, not litigation, that is going to endear their beliefs to his non-religious people.

WHAT ARE THE BOUNDARIES FOR A CHRISTIAN TEACHER?
Now, I’m no expert, but I am a public school teacher and I take my profession very seriously. Like most teachers, I got into the profession because I love kids and I wanted to make a dent in the vast wasteland of need that is the public school system. I believe it’s not just my career, it’s my calling, and I believe it’s what I was put on this earth by God to do in this time in my life. In fact, I’m a teacher because I’m a Christian.

But being a teacher, I know that I am also an agent of the state. This means, among other things, that I am not allowed to use my unique and powerful position of influence to officially endorse any religion to my class. That’s not what I’m there for. That’s not why I was hired. I’m not there to win souls, I’m there to teach English. And there’s a difference.

This doesn’t mean that I leave my religion at the door. That’d be like leaving my lungs at the door. Being a teacher means being a person who is actively in the lives of other, often younger people. And my faith may come up. So what’s okay, and what’s not? One-on-one conversations with students where you answer their questions about matters of faith? Go ahead. Private conversations about God with kids who are inquisitive? All day. Pointing interested kids to materials that are in line with their religious interests? No prob. Using your platform to convert kids or push your religion. Now you’re crossing the line.

SHOULD YOUR CLASS KNOW YOUR RELIGION?
As bad as it is for teachers to abuse their authority like that, I also think it’s silly for people to think that religious ideas and concepts aren’t going to come up in the classroom, or if they do, the subject should be immediately changed. I’ve been around kids long enough to know that they really wonder about God. But I think it’s kind of dangerous for the teacher in front of the class to be an official advocate or mouthpiece for a set of ideas. We’ve all had teachers who have been ideologues. It’s like they’re up there, waiting for everyone to give a puppet response of the answer they’re looking for. It intimidates students. I mean, who wants to argue with the teacher?

In the classroom setting, I personally tend to challenge all strong beliefs, regardless of what they are. I do this thing, almost unconsciously, when a student is talking: I stand on the opposite side of the room. I do it so they’ll talk louder, but I do the same thing ideologically. I stand “across the room” from students with strong ideas, no matter what the idea is.

I suppose this illustrates how I view education, and maybe where I’m different from many Christians. Some Christians I know believe pretty strongly that the purpose of schools is to make sure kids come out moral, and believing in God. As a Christian, I can’t buy into that. I think it’s pretty clear in the Bible that God gave that responsibility to parents and to the Church. If kids are rejecting the ways of Christ, that’s a problem with the parents and the church, not the public schools.

The point of public education is to get students ready for the world, for society, for America. This means they’re going to have to interact with a whole bunch of different people, some of whom have radically different belief systems. One of my friend’s aunts stood in front of me and accused the public schools of “teaching homosexuality.” Now, I personally haven’t received my anthology of homosexual literature, but if she means that I actively teach my kids that if a person is gay, it’s not cool to beat them up or kill them, then yes, I am guilty as charged. Of course, I’d say that not killing people you don’t like is also a Christian idea, but sometimes, I’m in the minority on that one.

Challenging student’s strongly held beliefs help them understand what and why they believe, which is important. But as important as it is for you to know what you believe, you also have to know how to converse and discuss with people who believe the polar opposite of you. I suppose this means framing more conversations, and less lectures.

Then again, I’m talking about teacher’s public roles, in front of the class. When the bell rings, and students linger around, hey, share away. I don’t think that’s the kind of thing that parents worry about. If my kid had a Muslim teacher, and he talked with students who were interested in his Muslim religion, I would be totally cool with that. If he had them take out their mats and pray to Allah every day at 3:15, I’d be a bit miffed. Which is another reason I don’t want prayer in schools, by the way.

Besides, the gospel of Christ is not just about words and doctrine; it’s about the fruit of the spirit. If you want to make a profound impact on kids, love them, and show them you love them.

And like the Apostle Paul said, against this, there is no law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home