Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Students Who Hate Learning Becoming a "Brobdingnagian" Problem

Leonard Pitts, Jr, the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist from the Miami Herald is one of my favorite writers. His commentary pieces often are so good, pretty much the only thing I would add is "Me too!."

His column today about the anti-intellectual environment that some poor kids (especially poor black kids) can face hit a nerve with me. See, I teach kids, many of whom have been told that learning isn't cool.

Sure, maybe nobody ever sat them down and said, "Now remember son, stay away from books - those will only hurt you." But still, the message is sent. For example, this Saturday, at Gunderson, the high school I teach at, we're having a meeting where parents and teachers and students will meet to build bridges, talk about expectations, and help parents get information to help their child suceed academically. My buddy Gerson is organizing it. He said that of the 140 parents called, six said they'd come.

Six.

Out of 140.

Now I know the valley is tough. And I am fully aware that some parents have to work two jobs, just to afford rent for a tiny place for their family. And I know that sometimes, parents aren't involved in their kids lives as much as they want to be because they're working so much.

But sometimes, don't you just have to tell your boss you'll be late? I mean, this is your kid. One parent we called said, "Will my kid get in trouble if I don't come."

????

I wanted to say, "Yes, your child will be in trouble because you'll be sending the message that in a list of priorities, their education is pretty low."

But I didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home