Friday, April 08, 2005

Prom Play List for My 2005 Seniors Eerie: Gawd, Like, Do You Remember the Late 90s? Totally.

So this afternoon, during the last 15 minutes of my 4th period Journalism class, I had a complete breakdown in all educational processes resulting in a chaotic maelstrom that wasn't conducive to learning at all.

But oh, was it fun.

We were talking about Prom, because it's coming up, and we were discussing how to cover it. And the students asked me what songs were played at my prom.

Now, I don't remember much about the proms I went to. I think I went to three, and two of those I think I'm purposely forgetting because I didn't get to go with the girls that I really wanted to go with, which resulted in a very unfair experience for everyone involved, if you ask me.

But at my senior prom, I distinctly remember walking through a tunnel of midnight blue balloons, holding the hand of my date, Leila Blevins, and entering into the hotel ballroom to hear this song: Informer by Snow. This has to be, and contiues to be, one of the worst songs in the history of songwriting. The actual lyrics of the chorus - which are the only intelligible part of the entire song - are:

Informer
You know say daddy me snow me-a (gonna) blame
A licky boom-boom down
'Tective man he say, say Daddy Me Snow me stab someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down


What?

Licky what?

I also vaguely remember hearing the song "500 Miles" which was performed live and on stage by some friends of mine who had a band that was actually pretty good. They also covered, "It's the End of the World As We Know It" and "Wonderful Tonight."

But back to my seniors. They went haywire when I suggested that they should make a list of their favorite songs. What happened was interesting. The whole class started reminiscing. And the songs they were reminiscing about, the songs they considered Old School were the following. I couldn't catch all of them, but the kids were playing songs on their laptops, and then howling in reminiscence.

I couldn't hear all of them, but here are what my students consider part of their ancient history. Songs that really take them...back. All the way back to the late 90s.

I Want It That Way - by the Backstreet Boys
Wannabe - by the Spice Girls
Crazy - by Britney Spears
Try Again - by Aaliyah
Mo Money, Mo Problems - by Notorious B.I.G.
Semi-charmed Kind of Life - by Third-Eye Blind
Iris - by Goo-Goo Dolls
One Week - by Barenaked Ladies
Barbie Girls - by Aqua
No Diggity - by Blackstreet
Push It - by Salt N Pepper
Smells Like Teen Spirit - by Nirvana
I Will Always Love You - by Whitney Houston

Is it possible that their prom song list will sound a lot like my favorite songs from college?

Minus the Barbie Girl song.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon Fortt said...

In defense of your kids, I must say that a couple of those songs are kind of old school, even for us.

"I Will Always Love You"? Old.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Really Old. I was just reminiscing about that song the other day, and the first time I heard it, the summer before junior year in high school (which must have been 1992). If your kids can remember 1992, when they were five-year-old kindergarteners ... well, that's pretty noteworthy.

"Push It"? Super old. Unless I'm mistaken, "Push It" originally came out in the mid-1980s. So, before they were even born. That's IMPRESSIVE. That's like the Revolutionary War to them. That's like they're giving a shout out to Crispus Attucks.

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home