Thursday, May 19, 2005

Business Week Studies Mega-Churches: Is Bigger Necessarily Better?

I found an interesting article the other day in Business Week. It was titled Earthly Empires and it focused on how some of the largest churches in America are experiencing unprecedented growth largely by following tried-and-true business models.

Joel Osteen, pastor of the largest church in American, Lakewood Church in Houston, has had so much growth in recent years that his church can barely keep up. The article reports that:

Osteeen is laying out $90 million to transform the massive Compaq Center in downtown Houston -- former home of the NBA's Houston Rockets -- into a church that will seat 16,000, complete with a high-tech stage for his TV shows and Sunday School for 5,000 children. After it opens in July, he predicts weekend attendance will rocket to 100,000. Says Osteen: "Other churches have not kept up, and they lose people by not changing with the times."

Now this, on one hand, is simply fabulous. I mean, 100,000 people. That's astounding. And the more people, more chance of actual transformation and change. That can't be a bad thing.

And I think a main reason why so many people don't actually believe in Christ is not because of Christ, but because they've never been presented with the message and story of Christ in a way that seems relevant or meaningful to their lives. I think a large part is the failure of the Church. Though I suppose, lot of folks could disagree with me.

But what bothered me most was this paragraph in the article:

As they thrive, though, there are growing tensions, with some mainline Protestants offended by their conservative politics and brazen marketing. "Jesus was not a capitalist; check out what [He] says about how hard it is to get into heaven if you're a rich man," says the Reverend Robert W. Edgar, general secretary of the liberal National Council of Churches.

Especially controversial are leaders like Osteen and the flamboyant Creflo A. Dollar, pastor of World Changers Church International in College Park, Ga., who preach "the prosperity gospel." They endorse material wealth and tell followers that God wants them to be prosperous. In his book, Osteen talks about how his wife, Victoria, a striking blonde who dresses fashionably, wanted to buy a fancy house some years ago, before the money rolled in. He thought it wasn't possible. "But Victoria had more faith," he wrote. "She convinced me we could live in an elegant home...and several years later, it did come to pass." Dollar, too, defends materialistic success. Dubbed "Pass-the-Dollar" by critics, he owns two Rolls Royces and travels in a Gulfstream 3 jet. "I practice what I preach, and the Bible says...that God takes pleasure in the prosperity of his servants," says Dollar, 43, nattily attired in French cuffs and a pinstriped suit.


Now, in terms of MegaChurches, I'm a huge fan of some of them. WillowCreek Church in South Barrington, Ill. is a place I love to attend. Every time I go there, I come out so amped for God's, it's amazing. I've been there for about four conferences, and each time, I come out just weeping. I get the feeling like they're really struggling to deal with what it means to be multi-ethnic, and apolitical and a force for good to the needy in the Chicago community. There is nothing in the messages presented by that church that makes me anything other than proud to be a Christ-follower.

But on the other hand, I'm a little leary of the idea of using marketing tactics. I mean, is that okay? Does God really need to use marketing techniques to grow His church? Are people "demographics?" Are cities nothing more than "target populations" with capitalistic cravings the church can use (some might say exploit) for the sake of the Gospel?

Is big necessarily better? If an organism is growing, then it's healthy. So if your church isn't growing, are you doing something wrong?

I'm not interested in throwing stones at other congregations I know nothing about. But as a member of a church, I am interested in figuring out how to be the most effective in my community.

I'm interested to hear what you think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

Have you seen this blog? Lot's of interesting posts along these lines.
http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/

11:57 AM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

Interesting comment. But I don't think that teacher/student ratio thing it's quite fair. I once heard TD Jakes talk about how a Pastor's role is different, depending on the size of the church. If it's small, you're Daddy Pastor. You're there. The family needs you. When it's medium-sized, you're going ahead of the troops, leading them like a drum major. And when it's massive, you're like Moses on the hill, watching the battle, his hands high to the Lord, a visionary overlooking something bigger than you can even imagine.

It's like saying, "Small businesses are better than huge ones, like IBM." Well, yes. And No.

You're assuming that while the Mega-church is growing bigger, it's growing more shallow in the area of inter-personal relationships. That's not necessarily true. In fact, for example, at Willow, the church found that it had to get really small when it got really big.

I think one of the primary strengths of some of these massive 20,000 member congregations like WillowCreek and Saddleback is that they've developed the whole idea of "Small Groups." The concept is that there isn't just one "head" shepherd, but that we're all shepherds, responsible for the flock of believers and unbelievers around us.

That means, it doesn't really matter how large or how small the church you worship at is: that won't change your own personal responsibility to deliver a deeper, stronger message. The role then becomes for the church to find a way to enable its members to grow, inspire them to service, and then have some "program" to bring their friends and family to.

But...that being said, I know what you mean about "seeker" services. If I'm hearing you right, JeffRev, you're complaining about "toned down" messages. I'm really not a fan, either.

I'm interested to hear what others think, but I'm not convinced there is a need for a "seeker service." I don't know why you have to "dilute the soup" or "tone down the wording" or "start with baby food." I don't see why you can't thrill believers with deep messages, and still connect with non-believers. Isn't the trick just...you know...being relevant and real?

Mega-churches have tremendous advantage when it comes to programming, resources, and top-notch communicators. And on Sundays, a whole community of little communities - a massive organization of house churches - come to worship and get inspired to go back into the field.

That can work. But it's tricky. And it's not for everyone.

And it certainly isn't a measure of success, as you pointed out. Sometimes, big isn't better.

But my ideas are still half-formed on this issue.

10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home