Friday, May 06, 2005

Big Ben Rides Without a Helmet, Teammate Joey Porter Thinks It's None Too Wise

Kellen Winslow, the number one draft pick last year for the Cleveland Browns, recently hurt himself in a motorcycle mishap when his new bike hit a curb. The Browns fear that Winslow might have torn his ACL, but it's too soon to tell. At risk is not only Winslow's future health, but his salary: he stands to lose his bonus and this year's salary if he can't play.

What's even moreinteresting is that I just read an article in which Pittsburg Steeler quarterback, and rookie of the year Ben Roethlisberger, is often seen riding around Pittsburg: without a helmet.

What I find fascinating here is that Pennsylvania requires by law that all football players wear a helmet, but they revoked that law for motorcycle riders.

Interesting.

Teammate Joey Porter, a tough-as-nails All-Pro linebacker, said he was surprised to hear that Big Ben is riding on a bike without a helmet so soon after Winslow's accident. I thought this quote in particular was funny:

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

"If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds," Porter said. "I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."


Good point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home