Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Brokeback Mountain sparks moral outrage...maybe too much moral outrage

Actual conversation overheard today in the halls of my school. Pardon the vulgarity. I work in a high school.

BOY 1: You heard about that movie Brokeback Mountain?
BOY 2: That movie about the queer cowboys?
BOY 1: Yeah.
BOY 2: Yeah.
BOY 1: You seen it?
BOY 2: Hell no. That *poop* is *messed* up.
BOY 1: You seen "Hostel?"
BOY 2: (Excitedly) Yeah.
BOY 1: Yeah.
BOY 2: That *poop* was tight, man.

I write all this because when the film "Brokeback Mountain" - which won the Golden Globe for Best Movie - comes up in conversation, I have heard several Christians barely able to mask their revulsion. Not like, 3 or 4, but like 20. We're talking outright disgust in their voices.

Now, I can kind of understand. I don't particularly want to pay to go see a movie that has some - as I understand it - fairly graphic homosexual sex scenes. I'm against seeing graphic sex scenes in general, regardless of the gender of the people.

Which brings me to my point. Why so much moral outrage over this movie? Why not the same disgust for, say, "The Bridges of Madison County" which is about adultery, an action which is, by the way, breaking a very specific commandment. Or why not as much outrage about the movie "Hostel" which is about a hostel in Europe where willing, paying folks go to kill and torture people for sport. The movie depicts people getting dismembered and tortured in wicked, disgusting, visually explicit ways. Many have said that Quentin Tarantino's movie is about as vulgar and violent as a movie can get. Killing innocent people is also very much against the heart of God (there's a commandment there on that one, too). But no barely-able-to-contain-my-outrage from Christians on that one, either. But get two confused comboys trying to figure out life and their own sexuality, and man, I'll frown you down from 3,000 yards.

To be fair, maybe folks are over-compensating reacting because of the hype the movie is receiving. But I'm willing to bet that the reason the movie is getting hype is not because of the "Gay Conspiracy Theory" - you know that theory that folks have that gay people have "an agenda" they're trying to "force" on the American people, mainly though Will & Grace and men's figure skating. But I'm willing to bet the reason the movie is going to get Oscar nods is not because of GLADD, but probably because the Oscar-award-winning director, Ang Lee (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) and the screenplay writer (famed "Lonesome Dove" author Larry McMurty) have actually produced a real piece of art.

Let me state this unequivocably - there are a lot more dangerous movies out there than "Brokeback Mountain." "Get Rich or Die Trying" for example. I'm still trying to undue the influence of 50 Cent in my school.

Just something to think about.

4 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Dave, I couldn't agree more. There are incredibly detrimental things "out there" in the media, and a movie like Brokeback is no worse an influence than any other.

I'm seeing a shift in the Christian community in which I live, a very healthful and wonderful shift of honesty and grace. Private groups are gathering on campus where people can safely share struggles that weigh them down - most of them are sexual issues of bondage. There is also a rise of openness in churches around here where those who have been hurt, made mistakes, or are deeply troubled in areas of sin can feel free to share the burden and get help. That's a big change from the atmosphere I've recognized for my short adult life!

Sadly, many are still condemning sin in the name of Jesus - as if He's into condemnation? But there is a healthy shift, and we can nurture this environment and pray for its growth.

I don't plan on seeing Brokeback, because frankly it just doesn't look like a movie I'd like very much. Repulsion and homophobia aren't my reasons.

9:27 PM

 
Blogger Kindle said...

Dave,

This is interesting from "The Christian Culture Survival Guide":
"Christian boycotts generally do little more than publicize the very problem they're aimed against. Nearly every church in America protested the 1980s movie "The Last Temptation of Christ". And that protest, in itself, was probably a good idea. A movie depicting Christ as a sinner is a mockery of all we believe in. But we actually brought a great deal of publicity and awareness to that low-budget film. "Temptation" would have probably gone unnoticed on the pop culture radar screen apart from the publicity lent it by the protests. When Christians rallied against it, nearly every news outlet in the country covered not the film, but the controversy--free publicity for Universal--and everybody wants to see the film everyone's talking about."

I wonder, is there a little of that free publicity going on with with "Brokeback". I saw it, and as a film (not a topic of much debate), it didn't seem worth all the attention it's getting. The cinematography is, of course, stunning (as you pointed out, it's Ang Lee), but the story is slow, and they leave you no time to process the ending.

I love your point about there being more dangerous movies than this one. And...are there better places to put our disgust? Lack of health care, water, and human rights for the majority of the world? The fact that most of the incarcerated population are functionally illiterate? That everytime I go to Blockbuster, "Alias: Season 4" is always checked out?

Anyway, thanks for the dialog!

11:48 PM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

Hey Missy and Kindle,

Thanks for your posts! I'm glad to hear both of your thoughts, seeing as how (and I don't think I'm exaggerating here), you're two of the smartest people I know.

The Last Temptation of Christ bothered when I watched it as a new Christian way back in 1998 (on VHS, nonetheless). I imagine that the movie "The DaVInci Code" will probably bother me a lot, too. I've heard rumblings of a boycott from the Catholic Church and other mainline denominations. But - to your point Kindle - a boycott is just a dumb use of the Church's energy.

It doesn't bring any good to any evil, in my opinion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch this DVD of Alias that I rented and have now kept for 31 days.

5:57 AM

 
Blogger Jon Fortt said...

Josh,

I just want to question a few of your statements:

1. We don't want homosexuality to become a normal American standard. Is it the Christian church's job to become culture police of those outside the church? And if it is, aren't there other "normal American standards" that are already too far gone to ignore? Why so little moral outrage over racism, sexism, poverty, promiscuity, etc.?

2. Why is it that such a small minority as the homosexual community has such a loud voice? Why is it that such a small minority as the evangelical Christian community has such a loud political voice? I would agree that there is a "gay agenda" just as much as human beings have a "survival agenda." I think gay people want to be treated as full citizens in a free and secular republic, which is what many think this country is supposed to be.

3. Why is it that in the Morgan Hill School District, a kindergarten student can bring home a note to his parents letting them know that they will have mandatory training about tolerating homosexuality? I don't see how this is necessarily a bad thing. What's the alternative: Being intolerant of homosexuals? Kids get that training for free in the schoolyard every day.

4. Why is it that in every new romantic comedy there is a gay friend who happens to be the relationship guru? Probably because there are a lot of gay writers in Hollywood who want to see themselves in the characters -- and who want to stress the idea that gay people are not on a mission to tear apart heterosexual relationships (the "assault on marriage" theory of the anti-gay faction).

9:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home