Thursday, August 09, 2007

Idolize Sports Much?



So I'm a mild baseball fan. And since I live in the Bay Area, let me tell you, the hype surrounding Barry Bonds' quest to break Hank Aaron's all-time home run record really has reached a fever pitch (haha, get it. Pitch. Baseball. Anyway).

But the day Bonds tied Aaron, this was the headline at ESPN.com.

Bonds Moves Into Eternity; Assumes MLB Home Run Record.


Umm.

Eternity.

Really?

Eternity?

I mean, I'm all for hyperbolic sports headlines, but come on. First of all, theologically, I'm not sure there's any religion that has a God who values hitting baseballs enough to grant eternal life. But even in terms of human history, this is hardly on the scale of say, the Incans inventing a calendar or the Roman aqueduct engineering.

Sheesh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

I hear ya. We idolize home runs as a metaphor of great success at something. But this "record" shows one thing - you can never hit enough home runs to achieve meaning or purpose in life. How many is enough? When can Barry say, "OK, I did it, I'm done. I've achieved what God put me here on earth to do." I'm not denying he feels great about himself right now. But all he did was hit one more than the previous guy. And one day someone will hit one more than him. It's meaningless, chasing after the wind.

Holding a record for the MOST home runs should show us that the myth or hitting a "home run," in life or at work, or school, or on a project, or whatever, of achieving some kind of pinnacle moment in life, is just that, a myth. Hit 756 home runs and it's still not enough. There is no pinnacle. It will never be enough. Meaning cannot reside in this kind of stuff.

And what about the guys sitting in the bleachers behind him, fists in the air? Wahoo! You go Mr. Blue Shirt. You watched SOMEONE ELSE participate in history while you yourself spilled overpriced beer on your shoes, and still had to go back to the same dead-end job the next morning. Definitely worth paying a scalper $400 for that ticket...

8:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home