Wednesday, February 02, 2005

"Houses of Worship Free Speech Restoration Act" Sends Messages that a Pastor's Role is to Be Political: Is this Good for Christ's Church?

Time Magazine recently ran an article that talked about the 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America. I read it excitedly, because I wanted to see who made the list, since I'm an evangelical. I was confounded by it. The thing about this list is that a large number of the people on this list are people I've never heard of, but are people up high in the political machinery. Speechwriters. Financiers. Lobbyists. I hadn't heard of any of them. The other number were Pastors and Speakers and Theologians, like TD Jakes, Bill Hybels and J.I. Packer. I'd heard of all of those.

This is troubling for a number of reasons. First of all, it sends the message that Evangelical Christianity is linked in some ways arm-in-arm with politics, especially Right Wing Conservative Politics. This is a dangerous message, mainly because there are hordes of people, like me, who don't buy into that. But the fact that Time chose the representatives that way shows that they believe that Evangelical Christianity is innately political.

This is even more distrubing, especially considering a new act introduced into Congress called HR215, otherwise known as the "Houses of Worship Free Speech Restoration Act."

The current law allows any religious leader here in America the freedom to preach any message that he/she desires with one exception. If he/she expresses an opinion, or makes a statement that is considered to "influence legislation" or "participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office," they risk the tax exempt status. This law, if passed, will repeal that.

This will allow religious leaders to make overt forays into politics from the pulpit without penalty. I'm not sure what this will do, but it sure does sound bad. It sounds as though some religious leaders consider pushing specific legislation an important function of the local church.

I'm pretty sure the point of the local church is not to preach about laws that need to be introduced to Congress. Isn't it to talk about the unique and powerful message about who God is, who Christ is, about sin and restoration and salvation? I mean, isn't it?

If the local church loses its perspective on this issue - which in some ways it appears like it is doing because somebody is pushing for this law - then won't we have a really, really, really big problem?

What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

Dave,

I couldn’t agree with you more. This scares me. It seems like as a country we are going backwards with the democracy process. It reminds me of Irac, I think that their election was a success. Now it was not an ideal example of the democratic system but a great first start. But what bugged me was it seems that the determining factor of how people voted was almost exclusively based on there religion. To me that’s no good. It is the strongest of dividers.

It’s sad enough that here in America we vote almost exclusively on a political labeling process. I know that sounded weird, what I mean is if you’re a Democrat you vote Democrat and if you’re a Republican you vote Republican. To me that stinks. But I can at least understand philosophically why. As Americans our goals should be about the same. You know increase freedom, civil rights, economical growth, home ownership, education and so on. On the other side reduce poverty, crime, discrimination and all the other bad things in our country and yes sometimes in our world. If a rational guy or gal simply disagree on how to achieve the same goals, that to me is okay. But so often it seems like we vote solely based on our Political Party, or Race or Age or City and yes Religion. To me that is a horrible thing.

This law seems like all it will do is further separate us as a country and push us to be more of a me against you mentality. Which is already happening at an alarming rate. So I guess that’s my point. As I looked at Iraq have it’s first election. They seemed to be more interested in their group vs. their country, I thought how sad. But what saddens me even more is it seems like every 4 years our country goes more towards that same mentality. So yes it probably is the worst it has ever been. But before Bush W, Clintons era was very similar. I think Republicans disliked him almost as much as Demarcates dislike Bush. As a nation it seems childish to me.

By the way it’s obvious that the Republicans are pushing this because probably they have the most to gain but it was interesting to see that Al Sharpton is now al of a sudden Reverend Al Sharpton. It’s not just one sided as I keep hearing my Democratic friends say.

8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home