Thursday, June 09, 2005

List of Tieche's Most Spiritually Impactful Songs

So this Sunday at Take2, the College and Young Adults ministry that I now *gulp* head up, I'm going to be talking about the power of media and the arts.

I'm going to be sharing clips from movies that have touched me, or affected me. And then I'm going to talk about how when I was in college, I had a really close friend named Eric who pretty much was the most influential person in my life spiritually during those crucial formative years. Eric didn't always have all the words, but he always had the music. And back in the days of Mix Tapes, the music he gave me influenced my thinking and spirituality in profound ways.

I often joke that early in my Christian walk, I got most of my theology from Point-of-Grace.

I think that music influences us all deeply. And we all have soundtracks to our lives: songs that for some reason, mean a whole lot to us.

I was thinking about making a CD of the songs that have affected me most spiritually. As part of Take2, what I could do was then pass it out to all the folks who come as like a handout, a favor. And on that CD would be the 10-15 songs that have most affected me in my life. I thought that might be a good way to encourage other folks to share their own "playlists" of songs they love.

It would also talk about the importance of art for Christians.

So, after combing through a couple 1000 songs, I chose the songs that had tremendous influence or impact on my life at crucial points. Some, like track 4, helped me realize I need to quit my job as a technical writer for the Air Force and do something that mattered with my life. Some, like track 12, is my wife and I's song. Some, like track 11, just move me every time I hear it. So my CD, right now, looks like this, listed in no particular order:

1. Lord of the Dance (live Abbey Road recording) - Steven Curtis Chapman
2. Waiting Room - Larue
3. Stand - Bebo Norman
4. Company Car - Switchfoot
5. Fool for You - Nichole Nordeman
6. I See Love - Third Day, MercyMe, Steven Curtis Chapman
7. All Things New - Watermark
8. Crazy - MercyMe
9. You Answer Me - jennifer Knapp
10. Redeemer - Nicole C. Mullen
11. May Your Wonders Never Cease - Third Day
12. Make Me Whole - Amel Larrieaux
13. Every Season - Nichole Nordeman
14. What If I - Greg Ferguson
15. Why (live) - Nichole Nordeman
16. Every New Day - Five Iron Frenzy


I'll explain why I chose those songs tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I agree that U2 has some amazing stuff with great value, but I think Tieche was aiming for the tracks influential to his life - not "most influential works of music." Good stuff, though. I've actually heard U's music spun into worship songs during church services. Interesante.

Dave, good stuff. Fool For You impacted my life at a crucial point in my formative high school years. Word.

8:35 PM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

Jeff Rev...Missy is right. It's not a list of the most influential songs of Christian music, but the songs that have impacted me personally the most.

But...just to pacify you...Jeff, I'm thinking about putting a U2 song on there...there are a few
And my favorite line from Ken (popvm) was "Is that brainwashing?" Sometimes my brain needs washing. Snappy comeback. I'll use that, like, forever.

And Missy...if you're in town, and around, why don't you come out to Take2. I'll give you a free CD.

9:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home