Monday, July 25, 2005

Baseball + Extreme Heat + Babies = Grueling Afternoon

Yesteday, my mom and dad and Nicole and Justus and I went downtown to Fifth Third Field in Downtown Dayton. As you may know, Fifth Third Field is the home of the Minor League Single-A Ballclub Farm Team the Dayton Dragons. It was the hottest day of the summer. And we were sitting outside. In the sun. Watching Single A baseball. Which is akin to watching non-playoff WNBA games in a sauna.

The game was actually loads of fun, though. The Dragons won 6-1, and I saw a home run, a triple, a steal, a diving catch at the warning track, a balk, and Dragon Jeremiah Piepkorn get caught looking and caught in a pickle, and then just level the second baseman like a linebacker hitting a punter. The second baseman for the other team didn't get up for like 4 minutes because he had the wind knocked out of him. It was pretty cool.

But I do have some questions, overall.

Fifth Third Field:
This is just confusing. Is it 5/3 of a field, like more than one and a half, but less than two fields? If so, it wasn't nearly big enough. Did it come in third five times in a row, or is it the bronze medal winner in the fifth heat?

Dayton Dragons:
Why Dragons? I can understand the University of Dayton Flyers, because of the Wright B. Flyer. And the IHL team the Dayton Bombers, because Wright Patterson AFB is nearby and made the Sealth Bomber. But the dragons? Are there a lot of moats around Dayton that I don't know about?

Heat Index:
They have this bizarre thing in Dayton called the heat index. Here is how it works. Yesterday, it was 97 degrees. But it was 85 percent humidity, which made it seem like it was 104. So how hot it is is NOT as hot as it is. If you live someplace where you need a heat index, here is my advice: move.

My buddy Jonathan referred in his blog about how I was having an idyllic vacation. I'm no so much a fan of the heat anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home