Friday, September 09, 2005

Not-so-Super Friends


If you grew up in the 80s, like me, you probably were addicted to a show called "The Super Friends." It wasn't a good show, in retrospect, but then again, neither was Night Rider or the A-team, but we loved those with a love that could not be tarnished by such things as actual quality of programming.

I found this site which outlines, in hilarious fashion, some of the funnier points of the show. take, for example this excerpt about one of the lesser-used heroes, and the only African-American superhero, Black Vulcan.

Black Vulcan, though, talked almost exclusively in electricity puns. "I'll electrify you with the shock of your life!" So unlike Luke Cage, we knew what he was trying to say, but we still wanted him to shut up.

He didn't show up very often, and when he did, he took Robin's job of shouting whenever something weird showed up. And no matter how many space blobs, giant monsters, or alien robots he ran into, he seemed genuinely surprised at each and every one of them. I know I would probably scream, "Great Lightning!" if I ran into something made out of lava and big enough to eat me, but Black Vulcan saw this kind of crap all day. The Super Friends couldn't even go to the drive-in without a damn creature dropping out of the sky on them. You'd think they'd get desensitized to that kind of thing after awhile. Most people are pretty scared the first time they see a snake, but I don't think the zoo-janitor at the reptile house spends his whole day going, "Great soaking mops! A venemous cobra! Got to keep from sticking my hand in the cage AND FAST!"


That's just plain funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home