Monday, November 07, 2005

Giant Monkeys, Country Music, Vampires and Jesus...

In-Flight Turbulence
• I saw the movie Flightplan this weekend with Jodi Foster. Actually, I didn't see it with Jodi Foster. I saw it with my wife. But Jodi Foster was up on the screen. It's a great movie. I'd give it three-and-a-half stars. Highly recommend. It's a little more action packed than "The Interpreter" but on that same level of good.

Kiwi Connection
• Jon and Gina came over for brunch on Saturday, which was stellar. They're going to New Zealand this coming week. New Zealand. That's a long plane ride. But still, imagine the things they will see. "This is where the Fellowship chased the Uruk-hai in pursuit of Pippen and Frodo."

Lions and Dinos and Apes, Oh My
• Huge Christmas Season for movies. Not only is The Chronicles of Narnia coming out on Dec. 9th (I already have my tickets for the sneak peek on the 8th), but I also saw a trailer for King Kong. Stupid movie about a big monkey, right? Wrong. It looks setllar. Check outThe Kong's site here. Word on the street is that the movie is running more than three hours long. Peter Jackson, apparently, can't tell a story quickly. I haven't checked, so I don't know who's going to be playing the role of Mario yet, but just think of how many barrells those CGI guys had to produce.

Interview with a Vampire, then a Messiah
• So, my buddy Jon Ziman called me from the store the other day. He needed some eggs, so he stopped by a Meijer, which is like a Wal-mart and a Safeway combined. Anyway, he soon found himself in a region of the store where books were sold, and he saw a new book whose titled caught his eye. It was by Anne Rice. You know, Anne Rice, the vampire story writer. Gothic horror, Interview with a Vampire Anne Rice. Well, apparently, she had a late-life encounter with God. After some time to process all this, she's put her prodigious writing talent to work on a new book called Christ the Lord a fictional account of the early life if Jesus in Egypt. You can read more here at Newsweek's feature article.

If God Can Redeem Country Music, There is Hope for All of Us
• And if that wasn't enough. I saw on the Apple store the other day that Carrie Underwood, the most recent American Idol, came out with her new album. Want to know the title of it? Jesus, Take the Wheel. Man. First Korn, now Carrie Underwood. What genre will God go for next? All I have to say is Kanye West, look out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

Um, have you seen the lyrics for "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West? The song is #9 in Today's Top Songs on iTunes. Weird. <cynic alert>: Maybe all these musicians are simply leveraging the current popular interest in religion in order to sell more product?<:/cynic>:

1:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home