Thursday, November 10, 2005

U2 in Concert

If you called me last night on my cellphone and left me a message, I didn't get it. Not only was I indisposed, but it was only a few moments ago that i regained my hearing.

You see, last night I went to see Bono, Larry, Adam and The Edge (otherwise known as U2) at the Oakland Coliseum. For my birthday this year, my good buddy Jeff Rev bought me a ticket. We were directly behind the stage (which sounds weird, but the stage is circular), about 8 rows up. We were a little elevated, but not so much that you'd get vertigo or something. As far as I could tell, with the exception of some floor people, we had as good as seats as anyone. I could have thrown a water bottle with a flick of my wrist and had it land on the stage. Not that I would ever, ever consider doing that.

I will blog more extensively on this experience - and it was an experience - when I have more time. Also, I got home at about 1 a.m., and I am a teacher, and am used to going to be at 10. So I am quite tired now.

Let me end with this quick thought. Three times I thought I was going to explode. One, during the second song when they played Vertigo.. The crowd was so loud, you could literally feel the noise. Then, when Bono brought out a protable drum, and started pounding on it from the front stage as an intro into Sunday Bloody Sunday. I realized then that's probably my favorite song of theirs. The third moment was when they lit the whole crowd, and you could see the crowd of 16,000. And everyone was singing in unison, whether to "I Still Haven't Found" or "In the Name of Love" or "One" or whatever other song they were doing. That's a lot of people. Oh yeah, and on Miss Sarejevo, Bono sang the part written and performed originally by Luciano Pavarotti, proving that when he wants to be, he's as stellar a vocalist as is out there. He was quite outstanding. And let there be no doubt that The Edge is one of the finest guitarists imaginable. The things he...it's otherworldly.

So. In summary. Bono a stone's throw. The Edge drives you over it with his talent. Many, many lights.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

I am jealous. Sounds like an awesome time. I fear the only concerts I'll be going to in the next couple of years will involve the Wiggles or Barney. Actually, you know we're more likely to end up at a Disney on Ice event. Oy.

2:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home