Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Mandisa Preaches on American Idol...



Last night, Nicole and I watched the last half of American Idol, which was so bad, that I considered never watching it again. The theme was "The 21st Century" and the concept was to give contestants a chance to pick the kind of song they would sing on their album. Everyone sucked. Only Taylor Hicks and Parris Bennet sang even remotely well.

In one of the weirdest moments of the night, giant-voiced Mandisa came out singing Mary Mary's "Praise Him (Shackles)." As the song intro'd, she said, "This one goes out to anyone who wants to be free. Anyone who's stuck in addiction, lifestyle or circumstance. There's no problem too big for God."

She then went on to sing the gospel song, whcih was pretty good, I guess. Proving, once again that most people have NO IDEA how to handle people who actually have faith, Ryan Seacrest said "There is a new religion, and if you want to join the Church of Mandisa, call this number." Mandisa shook her head, as if to say, "You totally missed the point."

The whole thing made me uncomfortable, and I don't know why. Simon Cowell said that it was "indulgent" and "not for him." He seemed very uncomfortable with the message and the whole performance.

Thing is, he might have had a point. It just seemed...forced to me. I know a lot of Christians will say that Mandisa's performance and testimony was awesome and was brave and was stirring. And it was. I just wondered if it was effective at doing what she wanted to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rudy said...

I really didn't like the judge's comments last night. The way I see it, if Chris is a rocker, they're not going to object him singing rock songs. Kelly and Bucky are Country, and if they sing something with more twang than Larry the Cable Guy, they stand up and applaud them for "sticking to who they are". But if a born again Christian gets up there and sings a song based on who THEY are, then "it's not for them." I say Bravo Mandisa, and if you go out tonight, at least you'll go out in style!

Keep Lookin Up
Rudy

8:20 AM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

You have a good point. I agree with you and I think that Simon didn't like the song not because he didn't like the music or vocal, but because he was...offended(?)...put-off(?) by the message Mandisa sent both before and during the song.

But to be fair, he came down hard on Chris, too, using the same word "indulgent" in reference to his performance of a Creed's song and said that "You can't keep doing the same thing night after night after night." So he blasted a rocker for being a rocker.

Also, to your point about Bucky and Kelli being applauded for "being true to who they are." I noticed that too. I suppose the reason why is because it's easier to applaud someone for "being who they are" when it's in regard to a realm that is completely immaterial, like fashion or music preference.

Authentic religious people make other people nervous, for some reason. I'm just trying to figure out why. and if there's some way to mitigate that feeling of discomfort without "selling out" or betraying who you are and what you're about.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

Hmm, I didn't see the show yet, although we do have it on TiVo. Then again, after your report it sounds like it may not be worth watching. Anyway...

I guess it depends on how public we think we need to be about our faith. Personally I am not convinced that I am obligated to share my faith openly, to everyone, all the time, in all settings, whether other people want to hear it or not. And even if I did think that, I would say that American Idol is a poor choice of venues to share your faith publicly. American Idol is, after all, the ultimate popularity contest. I think it's hard to take anyone seriously on this show.

Furthermore, it seems to me that this is not really sharing your faith at all. All Mandisa is saying is "Hey everyone, I'm a Christian".

Er, ok, so what?

I suppose it inspires other people who are Christians who can say "hey, you go girl!" but I don't see it ever doing anything else, least of all serving as an evangelistic tool to others. I think a far more powerful message would be sent by not saying anything on TV and instead serving others and being a model behind the scenes so that people could "know her by her works."

I think that in general I am sick of football players, basketball players, baseball players, Olympians and popstars "giving the praise to God" for every touchdown, championship, home run, gold medal or Grammy that they win. It's all very noble and honorable but I think "giving God the glory" for your success can be achieved between you and God without attempting to involve TV viewers in the process. It always, always comes off as phony.

I know this sounds harsh, and I don't want to slam Mandisa. I am sure she was acting out of a sincere desire to do the right thing in attempting to reconcile her faith with her newfound fame. And, she does have a good voice. What I am reacting to is this idea that is so prevalent in American Christianity that we have some mandate to foist our faith on everyone we talk to.

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

For a funny but also theological take on American Idol, see the following article:
http://www.reformation21.org/Counterpoints/The_Wages_of_Spin/American_Idolatry/90/

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home