Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wedding Story: Part 1 - Scott Fischer and Charice Buchholz

Let the Wedding Season Begin! This past Sunday, Nicole and I attended the second wedding of the season. This time, it was our friends Scott Fischer and Charice Buchholz (our pastor's eldest daughter) who finally tied the knot (after about 10 years of dating) this past Sunday. There are much better pictures of them out there, but this one will have to do.



Scott is the leader of the Take2 band, and one of my favorite people in the world. He's also probably the funniest person I know. I have a tendency to use hyperbole - and I know some funny people - but I think Scott might actually win the award.

Something about Scott that I can't seem to figure out - and it's something that I see in other people, like my friend Ben, and this guy I knew in college named Troy and our friends Ken and Aimee. They are people who just make you feel good being around them. They're incredibly friendly, and warm and they're always cracking really funny jokes. I've never seen them in a bad mood. Whatever your emotional state before, after you've been with them, you feel better. And you always feel like they're glad that you're there.

I guess you'd call it joy. They have joy. I wish I were more like them. I can't say that every interaction I have leads to people being happier. Often I'm short with folks, or I say something wrong, or I say something controversial that polarizes people.

For example, one time, I was talking in the hallway of church about the illegal alien immigration issue, and the conversation was a bit tense because the person I was talking with had a really simplistic point of view that was pissing me off, frankly. And so, I'm getting agitated, and there's this tension. And Scott walks up and says, "We need to get rid of all illegal aliens. Especially Alf. Man, that guy eats cats. Get him out of here. Once you're done with him, let's move on to Mork. Anyone who travels in an egg is no good."

It defused the whole situation. And we all walked away laughing with each other, instead of being all pissy to each other because of some political issue. I know, not everyone has the same personality, but I want to be more like the Scott Fischers of the world and be more of a source of unadulterated joy.

Of course, Nicole and I almost didn't even GO to the wedding. Our sitter situation fell through and at about 1:30 p.m. we realized that we didn't know what we were going to do with Justus. The wedding started at 4 p.m. Luckily, I know who to call when I'm desperate, so I rang Russell and Rebecca. How's that for a favor?

"Hey, Russell. What were you planning on doing tonight? Yeah, could you not do that, and instead watch my kid."

But they did. I suppose the lesson here is that if you don't live close to family or your parents, then make sure you have a tight-knit Bible study to bail your butt out. Thanks, R & R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home