Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Barak Obama (D -Illinois) talks about religion and politics



This is an excellant and thought-provoking speech from Democratic Senator Barack Obama about the role of religion in politics and in the United States. It's worth a read, especially if you are one of the growing number of committed Christians who are torn because one of the following reasons:

• The Republicans speak the language of faith, but seem to miss really key issues that I believe God really cares about, like issues of social justice, the environment and education.

• The Democrats care about some of the issues I care about, and talk about them well, but I can't identify with the candidates because they don't seem to understand people of faith, or religion, or the role that God plays in my life.

• I am tired of the hypocrisy of Republicans saying they are the party of "Christians" when all they seem to be doing is attempting to hijack Christianity for political gain.

• I get heebie-jeebies when I hear Democrats speak about people of faith as though religion has no place in public discourse and is something dangerous for America.

• I worry about the morality of the United States, and I think Christians hold the answers, but I don't think that the solutions offered by the Republicans would work, and the Democrats don't seem to even seem to see the problems.

• The primary spokespeople for Christianity don't ever seem to say things like I would say them, or how I believe Jesus would say them.

If that's you, then this is worth a read. Here is his speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home