Friday, February 09, 2007

Etymological Origin of a Phrase Causes Confusion

Editor's Note: Cultural Context means so much. See the letter below - an actual email I sent.

Dear Staff

The other day in a planning meeting for our next sermon series, I made mention that Nehemiah really went "balls out." And I was given some looks because the phrase, at first glance, seems rather crude and vulgar. The phrase does not mean what you think it means.

The phrase came about in reference to the governor on old steam engines. These machines had two steel balls that rotated across one another, restricting air flow which in turn controlled speed.

When the conductor was ready to pick up speed, he'd yell "Balls out!", signaling the help to do just that. You think I am making this up, but I am not. That being said, because of the possibility that people could possibly confuse that colloquial expression with a reference to male genitalia, I have removed all references in this sermon series to Nehemiah going "balls out."

So the sermon title for week 3 "Nehemiah Goes Balls Out" has been changed to "Nehemiah: Passionately Pursuing God"

Thank you,
DAT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home