Wednesday, July 27, 2005

In Michigan

So I'm in Michigan. We'll be spending the next week with Nicole's mom and step-dad. Thought I'd update you with some details.

Crazy Accident
On their way down to meet up with us half-way, Nicole's mom Terry and step-dad Rex got caught in this crazy traffic accident on I-75 heading south. Apparently, there was an accident in a construction zone that caused all traffic to be re-routed via backroads. Now, if you don't know I-75 is one of the largest traffic arteries in the nation, going from Michigan to Florida. So this was no small deal. Terry and Rex were in a stand-still for 2 hours.

On the way back, we drove on the other side of road right by the scene of the accident that backed up traffic for more than five miles and saw what happened. Apparently, a semi had hit something, run into something else, and exploded into flame. The only thing left when we drove by were two dump trucks full of charred metal debris. You could kind of see the outline of the trailer, but there wasn't much left. There was a road crew out fixing the road where the high heat had melted the concrete and asphalt.

We think the accident probably killed the driver, and they had to call in police and forensic scientists, which is why it took so long to open the road.

Crazy Rain
So the heatwave that has kept most of the midwest in a humid headlock for the past two weeks looks like it's finally dissapating. On our way to Michigan, we drove right into one of the biggest storm fronts I have ever seen. These thunderheads were just ginormous. It's about 20 degrees cooler here today than it was yesterday.

War of the Worlds
Nicole's parents live about two minutes from a movie theatre, so last night, we went to see War of the Worlds. Although it hasn't gotten great reviews, I went at the recommendation of my buddy Jeff Revenaugh. I'm not saying it's a great movie, like it didn't change my life, but I was entertained from start to finish. I mean, it's freakin' Speilberg, so it's gotta be masterful. And it was really creepy. Harvesting humans for their blood. Ick. The ending was a bit deus ex machina, which always bugs me, but it was really intense.

I thought the most provacative scenes - and if you haven't seen it, this won't ruin it for you - are on the ferry. Seeing the crowds and the mass hysteria. It was really unnerving. I wonder if Spielberg was attempting to say something bigger with this movie. I wonder if there were deeper themes that I was missing. Or if it's just fun sci-fi. I don't know. Lemme know if you get anything.

Grandma
So here's something I can add to my list of things I wished had never happened. Nicole and I got back from the movie last night at about 11:45. While she fed Justus, I got the room ready. And then I got ready to take a shower. So it's about 12:30, and I got out of the shower, and started drying off. Then the door opens, and it's Nicole's grandmother - who lives with Nicole's mom. The bathroom we were using is usually her bathroom, and it's usually empty. So she just kind of went in.

"Oh," she said. "I'm sorry. You go ahead."

"It's all right!" I said. Even though I didn't mean that. If she had actually come back in, I would have been surprised.

"What are you doing," I would have said, in a high-pitched voice.

"You said it was okay," she would have said.

"Yes, but I didn't mean it!"

The good news is, I think her eyesight is bad. But getting up in the middle of the night to see a giant naked white guy in your bathroom is probably enough to push anyone over that edge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home