Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It Went In One Temple and Out the Other: Luckily, No One Was In Either Temple

THAT'S TAKIN' ONE FOR A FRIEND:
So this is amazing. A singer song/writer named Marc Cohn, probably best known for his song Walking in Memphis was with his band Sunday in Denver when a carjacker shot him. In the temple. Now for the amazing part: he's okay. Let me say that again. He got shot in the head and he's okay.

Doctors said that the bullet was probably slowed down by the windshield and the fact that the bullet grazed Cohn's friend, who was sitting next to him in the car. That is just nuts. reminds me a bit of an icky story of a man named Phineas Gage, a 19th century railroad worker who was working with explosives to blast rock away for the railway. Apparently, he put the black powder in the hole they'd dug in the rock, and then you put cotton, and then you "tamp" the explosive with this long, metal pole, about twice as thick as your thumb. But since there was no cotton, when Phineas tamped, there was a spark and the resulting explosion put this tamping iron through his head. But he lived.

Of course, there were some side affects with Gage. Hopefully there aren't with Cohn. Wouldn't it be weird if he came out singing all high like Prince. That'd be strange.

LAKE WHAT:
So my parents-in-law are here, visiting from Michigan. Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Is Albertsons still having that crazy 3-for-6-Dollars sale on Fruity Pebbles and other fine General Mills cereals?" I don't know. You might also be thinking, "Dave, wait a minute. Didn't you just visit your parents-in-law." Yes. Yes, I did. But Terry, my mother-in-law, is a nurse and she has a conference here at Lake Tahoe next week, so we get to hang with them.

The funniest thing was that Nicole's cousin, Jeremy, is out in Sunnyvale on business, and called Rex and Terry in Michigan to try to get our phone number to hook up with us. Rex's 94-year-old mother answered the phone, and informed Jeremy that
Rex and Terry were gone, visiting Nicole and Dave up in Lake Taco.

Hahahahah.

Sounds like my kinda body of water.

THIS ROCKS:
So while I have some free labor, I'm putting Rex to work. He and I have been sledge-hammering my back patio's concrete, which was this really nasty 70s pebble stuff that just had to go. Only problem was, it's really quite thick. And heavy. I had a great idea, thanks to my friend Ryan Roberts, who often does work on his home. He suggested that getting rid of the rock pile would be easy. "Just put a little in the trash each week," he said. Since I'm watching our neighbor's house this week, I figured it'd be a great opportunity to get rid of two loads. So I loaded the two trash cans to the hilt with cement. Then I couldn't move them. Then I read the giant letters painted on the side that read: Maximum Weight: 112 pounds.

So I'm stuck with this pile of rocks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

Looks like fun. I think Ryan said "put a little bit in the trash each week," not "put it all in the trash at the same time."

Too funny. Have fun with your rock pile. Maybe you could give it a funny name and call it abstract art.

1:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home