Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Poetry and the Dukes of Hazzard

One of my favorite things to do is read good writers react to life, especially art. In college, one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life was when I took a class called "Poetry and the Visual Arts." It was here that a professor showed a room of us self-absorbed sophomores famous paintings. He had me stare at them until I was forced to contemplate, and the read what poets - people far better than I with words - wrote about those works of art.

It was astounding how often the poets articulated something that I couldn't even barely begin to describe. This is when I felt, for the first time, the power and importance of poets. They help us feel. They observe.

Although this is going to sound far-fetched, I consider Roger Ebert one of the great poets of our generation. His writing on film is easily the best out there. And often I observe that it's not really about the stars he gives movies, but about the review itself. If the film inspires Ebert to eloquence, it's worth seeing.

Which is why everyone should read this review of the movie The Dukes of Hazzard.. It's simply hysterical. I don't know if the movie was really that bad, or if Ebert was just in a mood. But this is one funny bit of writing. Consider the wit on display even in the cutline underneath this photo accompanying the review.



The cutline?
Jessica Simpson, Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott wear clothing in a scene from "The Dukes of Hazzard."

That's just plain funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home