Friday, October 14, 2005

Tieche's List of Movies I've Seen Recently...

Just so you can calibrate yourself, when I review movies, I do so based on the standard Four Star System, but I have a special category called 5 Stars, which are films that transcend film. So my rating system goes like this.

5 Stars: You must see this movie immediately. Go and rent it now. Take off work if you must.

4 Stars: Traditional. Great movie. Really, really great movie. If you want something to do to enrich your life, rent this movie and watch it. You will not regret it. Adam Sandler movies will never make this list.

3 Stars: If you're renting, and want a fun time, this movie is good. It's sharp, it's witty, it's just good stuff. Not going to win an Oscar, or make anyone's list of "Best Movie Ever" but, it's fun.

2 Star: Don't rent this. Not worth your time. Anything with the words "Beverly Hills" and "Ninja" in it go squarely in this category. Also, titles with numbers in them, like 2, indicating sequels, often go here.

1 Star: Painful. If this is the inflight movie, go to sleep. It's even painful to watch without sound.

0 Stars: Anything with Tom Green or the cast of "Jackass" or Scooby Doo in it.

So, based on that rating system, I have seen two movies recently that I would recommend.

Robots
This movie is not to be confused with iRobot, which is an entirely different movie. It's an animated feature film full of fun. It's light, Robin Williams has about five lines that are simply hilarious, and I laughed out loud hysterically three or four times, nearly waking the baby and kind of hurting my throat in the process. That's a good run for a movie, I think. It's no Shrek 2, but it's good.
Three Stars


The Interpreter
Honestly, in Hollywood, are there two finer actors than Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. I mean honestly? These are top-tier, first-rung, best-of-the-best actors doing their stuff, and it's amazing to watch. The plot's intense, but thanks to the PG-13 rating, the film's dark subject of genocide is watchable. It's a powerful film about forgiveness and peace, and has a few monologues that are as good as any I've seen.
Four stars

Next up on Tieche's movie cue:
Kicking and Screaming
Hotel Rwanda
Crash

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur about "The Interpreter". Really good plot and great acting. My church's movie group saw this a few months ago.

I think you will love Hotel Rwanda. Another one we saw a while back. Four stars for sure, and you might give it five. Truly amazing story.

-- Kim Helliwell (kimgh@pacbell.net)

8:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home