Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Attack of the Vacuum Cleaner Salesmen...


This child is seriously considering buying the Kirby Sentria Vacuum Cleaner, but that is only because she has not yet developed the cognitive skills to make good decisions.

Now, before I get started with this story, I want to reveal something that I am not exactly proud of. Right before my senior year in college, I spent the majority of the summer in Myrtle Beach with my best friend Jon, working as a waiter and writing freelance for the Myrtle Beach Sun-News. When I returned home to Ohio in August, I still had two weeks until school started, so I decided to do whatever I could to earn some money.

One of the things I did, I am not proud of. I entered the direct sales market. For about two weeks, I went door to door and sold vacuum cleaners. Not only vacuum cleaners mind you, but Kirby vacuum cleaners. It was then that I realized I was not a salesman, and never could be.

It had been years since I have thought about Kirby, mainly thanks to counseling. But last Wednesday, I was sitting at home playing choo-choo train with Justus, when I got a knock on my door. It was from the Kirby people. Now, if you have never heard of Kirby Vacuum Cleaners, let me tell you their approach to sales, which I was unfortunately able to witness first-hand.

Kirby Method 1: It’s Tough to Say No to the Nice, Sweet College Girls
First, Kirby sends scouts to go out door-to-door to a neighborhood. Usually they use cute college girls who are very sweet. When you open the door – and I suggest that you don’t – they will tell you, with ribbons in their hair, that they work for a marketing company and that there is no obligation to buy anything, and that they are giving away free carpet cleanings. Who wouldn’t want a free carpet cleaning?

Now I was in a perfect situation. Mere weeks ago, I had a professional carpet cleaner come by and clean my carpet. Not only that, I vacuum once a week in preparation for my men’s bible study on Tuesday nights. My carpet is not just clean. It’s very clean. So you would think that I would be in a perfect position to say, “No thanks. I’m sorry.” Close the door. Done.

Oh, but these girls are as wily as they are sweet. The girl gave me puppy dog eyes and told me that she is working her way through college and that she gets 50 dollars for every single person who signs up for a free carpet cleaning. Could I please help her out?

“Please?” she said. “Come on, you’re the nicest person I’ve met in this whole neighborhood.”

The nicest person in the neighborhood? Really? So I actually thought to myself, “Well, I wouldn’t want to ruin my Christian witness.”

Seeing a hole of opportunity, this girl jumped through it.

“They will be done in like, 10 minutes,” she said.

So I agreed. After all, what’s10 minutes out of my day to help a nice girl go to college? 10 minutes. I would like you to remember that number.

Kirby Method 2: Kill Them With Flattery
A few minutes later, two guys showed up at my door, toting a few large boxes. They were both young. One of them was named Dan and the other was named Mark. Mark did all the talking at first. The first thing he said when Justus opened the door was “Oh my gosh. Your son is the cutest thing ever.” Then he stood up straight and said, “Jared McGuire. The human head weighs 8 pounds.”

I was like, “Jared?” You mean, “Jerry?” But I didn’t feel like correcting him. I looked at the clock. I was 5:21 p.m.

“So, we are here to clean your carpet,” Mark said, marching into my living room with the authority of a marine general. Dan began picking up all the toys off the floor and moving the coffee table. Justus and I sat down on the futon to watch. After all, this was only going to take 10 minutes.

“Are you familiar with Kirby,” Mark asked. I was too ashamed to admit that I used to do exactly what he was doing, so I said, “Yeah, I’ve heard of them.”

“By the way, were you in the military, by any chance?” Mark asked, “Because you’re built like a guy who was in the military.”

Now you would think that this line wouldn’t work, but really it does. I don’t know if Mark learned it listening to girls hit on guys at a bar, or something, but it’s quite effective. It makes you feel kind of good. The only line that would be better might be,

    “Was your dad Indiana Jones, because you look like you’d be an excellent whip-wielding swashbuckling archeologist.”

Or perhaps,

    “Were you ever in a bathroom at your ex-wife’s Christmas party when terrorists came in to take over Nakatomi Plaza? Because you look like the kind of guy who single-handedly stop that kind of thing, even without your shoes.”

I replied that I used to be a sub-contractor for the Air Force, to which Mark said, “Yeah, I could kind of tell.”

What? You could tell by looking at me that I used to work for a consulting firm and that I wrote thousand-page technical manuals for the US Air Force?

At any rate, Mark continued to pour it on, about how cute my son was, and how lovely my home was, all the while, he is setting up a display of some sort, featuring the attachments of the Kirby vacuum cleaner. He then said, “I’m going to leave Dan with you, and he’ll do a real good job.”

What? Leave Dan with me? Where are you going?

Mark then left the house, closing the door behind him.

It was 5:38.

Kirby Method 3: Insult Your Cleanliness and Make You Feel like a Bad Person

The goal of the Kirby vacuum demonstration it to demonstrate how much dirt has been left within the carpet. A "Dirtmeter" attachment is used in place of a vacuum bag, while "dirt pads" are placed inside the attachment. When the vacuum is turned on, dirt lands on the pad, and is shown to the customer. The salesmen frequently replaces used dirt pads with new ones, leaving evidence of dirt around the vacuumed area.

The second goal of the demonstration is to show you how inferior your vacuum is.

At this point, Dan asked to see my own personal vacuum cleaner. “Oh, he said, the Eureka Boss Upright. Good machine,” he said. “Would you agree that it’s a good machine?”

I was taken aback by his question. Then I remembered my Kirby training from years and years ago. I was taught to ask questions – dozens and dozens of simple questions – that the customer would have to respond “yes” to. The idea is to get the customer to agree with your sales pitch internally, and then they would buy the vacuum cleaner. I knew that the goal of Dan was to get me to say the word “Yes” so I purposely avoided saying it.

Here are some of the questions Dan asked and I have included my responses:

“Have I vacuumed this with your machine about the way that you would have?”
It is acceptable what you have done.

“Now that I have used the Kirby, do you see all this dirt that was left in your carpet.”
I have the ocular proof.

“If you had a chance to get this remaining dirt out of your carpet, would that be something you’d be interested in doing.”
The remaining dirt is upsetting to me and its removal would be most welcome.

“Wouldn’t you feel better if your son wasn’t crawling around near all this dirt?”
That’s an affirmative.

“If your machine is missing this much dirt, and you bought it to do precisely that very job, to remove dirt, then don’t you think it’s time you fired it and got something that will do the job.”
Can one really fire an inanimate object?

Dan got frustrated with me at this point.

“You know what I mean. Get rid of it.”

Dan then leaned in for the final sales pitch. “Look, your machine isn’t getting the job done.” He then went on to talk about “superior suction power” and how the dirt in my carpet was going to destroy it by midnight unless I made some drastic changes, and that if I really, really loved my children, I would do this. For them. For their future.

Frankly, Dan had a point. I wondered "How much does this thing cost?"

It was now 6:29

Kirby Method 4: A substantial time investment + massive guilt trips = diminished sales resistance.

“Would you like this Kirby in your home,” Dan asked.

“It depends,” I said. “How much does it cost.”

Now I knew that Kirbys were expensive. But when Dan handed me the flyer telling me the price, I honestly had to keep myself from laughing out loud. Want to know what the price was?

$1,899.99

Almost nineteen hundred dollars. It was at this point that I knew I was going to have to turn rude on Dan.

Kirby Method 5: Tag Team the Potential Customer, again using guilt

The doorbell then rang. It was Mark. He was true to his word. He was back to get Dan.

“Did Dan do a good job for you,” he asked.

“Oh yeah,” I said.

“Did you like the Kirby machine?” he asked.

“Oh yeah. And believe me, if it were one-sixth the price, I would seriously consider not buying one.”

“But I thought you said that you liked the Kirby?” Mark said, confused.

“Look, I don’t mean to be a snob, but about a year ago, I was at Bed, bath and Beyond and I saw a display model of a vacuum cleaner manufactured by Dyson. And it was cool. And it seemed to really pick up the dirt. And it cost 600 dollars, and I started laughing out loud. 600 dollars for a vacuum? Are you kidding me? I got a baby on the way, and taxes due in April and I got to get my backyard toddler ready. It would be fiscally and morally irresponsible for me to spend that much on a vacuum cleaner.”

It was now 6:41

Kirby Method 6: Make you realize that by not buying a Kirby, you’re choosing to sacrifice your family’s health and safety because you’re a cheapskate.”

That’s when Mark started to get desperate.

“Well, let me see if I can do something for you. Dan is in a sales contest right now, and he needs to sell 12 of these things do go on a weekend getaway to San Francisco. That contest means a lot to him, so what if we took his commission off the top, and passed that savings along to you.”

So let me get this right. You’re trying to make me feel good about buying this $1900 machine by letting me know that I’d be the one responsible for Dan not getting paid anything.

“At least you’d have the Kirby,” Dan said, like a true vacuum martyr.

Meanwhile, I had to get to FCC because I had a class I had to teach starting at 7. So I shook Mark and Dan’s hand and said, “I am sorry to disappoint you, but I simply cannot afford to pay that kind of money for a vacuum cleaner. I’m sorry to have wasted your time.”

They were nice enough, and I packed up my things and left Nicole to deal with them.

She was far less polite than me.

“I can’t believe you’re still here,” I heard her say as I walked out of the door.

This is when Mark tried one last sales pitch. These were his actual words, as reported to me by my wife.

“Ma’am, I understand, but you have to understand where I’m coming from. I saw your cute little boy and I could not allow him to continue to live in all this filth.”

To which Nicole said,

“Quick bit of advice. It’s not good to come to a woman’s home and tell her you are concerned about how filthy it is.”

To which Mark said,

“What I meant was…”

To which Nicole said,

“Yeah, we’re done here.”

So Mark and Dan, the Kirby guys packed up their things and left.

It was now 7:01.

Lessons Learned

So I want all of you to learn from my mistakes. So I put together a brief list of things I learned from this experience.

First of all, I will never open the front door of my house ever again. If I have to be rude, I will be rude. I will pretend I am deaf. I am even willing to pretend that I am an overgrown grade school kid with a pituitary disorder and that mom and dad told me not to open the door for strangers. But I simply cannot be allowed to open the door for sales calls.

Second of all, never trust sweet, pretty college girls. The next day after the cleaning debacle, I was walking around our neighborhood with Justus in the wagon, and I saw the same nice, sweet girl canvassing the houses around the bend. She got into a van with a guy and lit up a cigarette and began cussing.

Third of all, Kirby is a fine product. But $1900 is worth more than my car. So. Yeah.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sean K said...

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Great story. I love my sister so much. That was HI-larious.

11:01 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

haha, you're the type of people we demo and talk about in the morning meeting! the people who dont understand anything in life. if you have a 2,000 dollar plasma and couple thousand dollars worth of electronics in your house and your to cheap to buy your wife the best vacuum in the world .. then you're a something else. and 2nd of all those dealers and canvassers have horrible pitches. because all the tv's and stuff is luxury not necessities. the kirby will outlast any of those things. but then again people just dont get it. also! the military crap.. you probably make more than 100,000 a year. and the classy white people.. are the ones who never buy.. the 30,000-40,000 a year hispanics are our highest consumers. WE ARE POSITIVE!

9:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks to this blog, I avoided the hard close sales pitch I was about to be given from a sales team. It wouldnt have been so bad if they didnt send the "college girl" in first touting that she was with a cleaning service that was trying to drum up business. I thought she was going to clean carpets and rugs and just wanted to prove herself first by cleaning a small portion of the house. I thought this girl is just working her business real hard and deserved a break. That is, until she showed up with the two guys, several boxes and a Kirby Vac. Between her appointment setting time and demo time I googled this blog since I had a hunch this might be a Kirby pitch. The blog was right on except that they didnt mention Kirby. When they came back I told them I didnt appreciate their tactics since it was a cleaning service and not product sale. Although I appreciate the hard work it takes to go door to door, I could never justify the $2000 it takes to by a vacuum. And as far as the post before mine goes...stay positive but stay honest!

5:40 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

David Tieche,

I am surprised at your blog. very disappointed. Not going to comment on your writing ability because you know it is good.
My name is Christopher Bevan out of New Jersey and yes I have a very large Kirby Distributorship and employ allot of people. I want you to read a post I put up recently and see how you and people like you are effecting hard working Americans trying to provide for their families. You are persecuting an entire company and its people by a 2 week experience and what seems to be a hard working young honest man that came to your home.

Just say no.

I realize you have the right of free speech but if your a man of the cloth you should understand that you use that power with respect and good judgment.

I mean really now. You a Teaching Pastor. And I am Catholic and You don't see a me going around blogging about the church and some of its members and the alter boy situation, do you?

Well anyway I would love you to take a look at this post I put up. If you delete this and do not post this on your site then I would question your integrity as well as your fairness. You do teach free speech I am sure.

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice. I never gave you the post... here it goes. really new give it a read... thanks

http://bgky.craigslist.org/com/632445914.html

8:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No ones likes salesmen. Its understandable. Pushy and annoying. We try our best to avoid them at car lots and department stores. Even though really they are just trying to help us find what we need. My husband has a kirby distributorship, and I used to work for him, so I know exactly how annoyed people get. However, the Kirby itself is the best product out there, no doubt. If you were given the chance to buy it at WalMart for the same price, and you compared it to all the other vacuums right there in the store, and it was no doubt the best one, would you still not buy it? If you went to BestBuy and looked at 3 different Tv's; Black and White Tube with 1 year warranty, 30" with a nice picture and 2 year warranty, or a 50" flat screen plasma with a lifetime warranty, which one would you choose? The plasma is more expensive, but of course its the best choice. Thats like the kirby. More expensive but its the best choice. That lifetime warranty will pay off. If you buy 8 vacuums throughout your life for 200 dollars each, that 1600 dollars. You might as well get the vaccuum that costs about the same, and will last you the same amount of time (your whole life), and will also gets those nasty dust mites, dead skin cells, and much more out of your home.

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Tim Stallings said...

I am a Kirby Dealer and I found nothing inherently wrong or dishonest about your blog of the way that sales team operated. some people buy a Kirby, some people don't. Really no need to NEVER answer your door again, but thats a personal issue you have to deal with. The KIRBY is not the most expensive Vacuum system in the world, sorry to be the one to tell you. The most expensive vacuum in the world is the one you currently have that: doesn't clean, diminishes the investment of your carpent and appearance of your home. Lies to you when you assume it's cleaning, and steals your money by throwing away pounds upon pounds of carpet fibre that's been cut by all the sand and dirt in your carpet. BUT...it is your money to do with what you want. He product is the best in the world and with a little forward thinking you would have seen that and bought the darned thing. You'll think of it when you have to replace your carpet which is many times the cost of the machine. Aside from the issue of continuously living in a dirty home that you assume is clean, the only person that got fooled in your experience is you and your family. Don't dispair though, I'm sure before too long another Kirby representative will hit your door. This time, take a minute to use you mind to think with and not your wallet, and I'm sure you'll find that it is the best investment in a home cleaner you will ever find.
Anything else is settling for the mediocre. With all of our options for obtaining one, you need not do that.

2:52 PM

 
Blogger David Weaver said...

Good God. Only the Kirby salespeople who probably found this blog by google seem to be blind to the fact that there isn't that much to a vacuum cleaner. The brush on the carpet and the volume of air it moves.

All of this stuff about not spending $2,000 on a vacuum diminishing your house? Get real. A $200 made in china vacuum does as good of a job as long as you keep it in running order. All you have to do to see it is tell the salesperson to switch the order the vacuuming is done - vacuum with the kirby first. See if they'll do that.

Only only has to look at craigslist to find used kirby's here from $100 for one in working order to $700 from some poor lady who just bought one, used it twice, and is looking to sell it. Seems like if you really want one, by one from the scads of folks who realized they got ripped off and can't even fit their vacuum under the edge of the bed to clean.

Nobody needs to pay more than half the cost of a vacuum in sales commissions and marketing expenses. *That's* a waste of money that has you making real choices in life and settling for the mediocre elsewhere.

5:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home