Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Funny, Fantastic and Moving

Three adjectives I'd like to think apply to me, but they don't. But they do apply to the following three videos.

Funny:
This is just hysterical. Thanks to Jonathan Ziman for the link. If you're married, you will understand. If you are not, well, this might frighten you. I will warn you, this content is not appropriate for children or people without a sense of humor.


Fantastic:
Dave Matthews and his college roommate Tim Reynolds just came out with a new DVD, live from Radio City Music Hall. On that DVD is a song called "Eh Hee" which Matthews wrote after spending some time with the Khoi San people while he was in Africa with his family. What struck me about the song was the lyrics, which you can read here.

Strange evolution how people have come to believe
That we are its greatest achievement
Barely, we're just a collection of cells
Overrating themselves
God I'm avoiding the truth


WARNING: One of the lyrics says that the world is "f-ing" crazy. Which although true, is still strong language intended for adults only. Click here to watch this astounding piece of musical genius, embedded with some deep truths. God does have many names and the devil does seem to have many, many more. And like DMB, I would very much like to drop the devil to his knees.



Moving:
Which brings me to my final clip. I thought this was cheesy at first, and then overdone and melodramatic, but then at the end, I just started crying. Which is weird, because I was there in my office and one of my co-workers came up and I'm bawling. This is about 400 volumes of theology packed into a three minute dance/drama. Although the demons and temptations aren't the same, this is about as perfect an articulation of my relationship with Jesus as I've seen - which I why I probably started crying. You can see it below, but a larger version is available by clicking here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

That 3rd video was simply beautiful.

9:15 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Ziman said...

Before I saw the Lifehouse video I thought, "Dave may have cried, but then again Dave cries at a lot of things." ;-)

And then I started watching the video and I thought to myself "wow this is so cheesy." But.. then I, too, found myself crying. Like, really crying. So bizarre. Kari suggested maybe it is because the dance is so physical, especially towards the end. Powerful stuff.

The Dave Mathews video is interesting. I love the sound. The lyrics confuse me a bit. You can now download a studio version of this song and its accompanying video on iTunes. The iTunes version is completely different. Like, really different. I honestly don't understand it at all. It is way out there. Go check it out for yourself because I am lost. Somebody left a comment on the iTunes website that DMB is parodying a YWAM marionette show? I have no way to know if that is true or not. Anyone know?

9:02 AM

 
Blogger Drew said...

Funny: Yes...and true.
Fantastic: Yes.
Moving: Absolutely! I didn't cry (I have a history of not crying...) but I had chills when she threw the gun down. That is such an emotional depiction of one's relationship with God. In the past, I have had a hard time seeing/feeling "God through the cheese" with videos like this, but not this time. As I watched the end, it was like I could feel God touch me and remind me why he has been in my life even when I have neglected the relationship.

Thank you Dave for sharing.

10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home