Sunday, July 10, 2005

Betcha Ed Bundy Doesn't Fly Coach

So on the plane to Phoenix, flying back from Denver, my wife and I were in the second to last row in the plane. Which was actually quite fine because there was an extra seat between us, so Justus could sleep.

But anyway, in the row across the aisle was this young, somewhat familiar looking guy in a camouflage shirt, sunglasses and a ball cap. He was travelling with a pretty young girl, but that is not why I noticed him. I noticed him because my wife leaned in to me and said:

"Doesn't that guy kind of look like the guy from Married with Children? The brother? Bud."

So I looked over. And the guy kind of did. A lot. So we started whispering, and wondering. Then he got on his cell phone, and started talking to someone. We pretended not to be eavesdropping, but we were. He turned to the woman.

I got offered a part, I heard him say. He went back to the phone.

As long as the part isn't cheesy, I heard the young man say. Which struck me as weird because if this was indeed Bud, from Married with Children, it seems to me that you take what you can. You know what they say about beggars, after all.

So I'm pretty sure I flew on ATA from Denver to Phoenix with Bud Bundy, otherwise known as David Faustino. You might scoff, but this is no small potatoes. Among his accomplishments:

• He played a starring role in the longest-running live-action sitcom in television history. Married...with Children was on FOX for 11 years, beating perennial favorite Cheers on NBC. More importantly, he spent 11 years - many of them early puberty - in shockingly close proximity to Christina Applegate.

• He was also the voice of Cavin in television's The Gummy Bears. So magic and mystery are part of his history. Along with the secret of gummy berry juice.

• He's also listed as playing the role of Carl in a new movie called The Trouble With Frank starring Jon Bon Jovi, easily a C-list player in Hollywood. Did I mention that Nora Dunn has also signed on to that project? Well, she has.

The craziest part of it all was that he was really nice and cordial. The girl with him, who had a rock on her finger, so I can only assume that he's engaged, was really interested in Justus. Which was really kind of nice. So I have a new appreciation for Bud.

Just goes to show: sometimes, the TV lies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home