Thursday, July 14, 2005

Billy Graham, Bill Clinton and Hitler: Social Religious Conservatives Apparently Hate All Three

There's a new movie called "The Downfall" that chronicles the last days of Hitler. I haven't seen it, but my buddy showed it in his AP government courses, and it really messed up my kids. The film shows Hitler's last days, starting from the eve of his 56th birthday to the day he committed suicide with Eva Braun, who he had married a few hours earlier.

But most disorienting to the kids was that the film showed Hitler being cordial and kind to his employees and co-workers, petting a dog. In general, it showed a human side to Adolf Hitler.

Critics and sociologist wonder at the wisdom of showing this, fearing (especially because the movie is made by Germans) that it will soften feelings for the man whose "Final Solution" caused as much human suffering as anyone who's ever lived on earth.

The tension is this: Hitler is a mass murdering psycopath who was insane. No doubt. And in the broader historical context the dude tore apart millions of lives. But he was also a person. And to make him out to be some sort of monster and to demonize him lets us off the hook. We say to ourselves, "Hilter was different. He was a monster. I'm not a monster."

I'm not sure if that's theologically accurate.

I'm not sure but perhaps anytime you demonize a person and make them out to be wholly evil, devoid of any good, maybe you're off base.

I certainly think this is the case with most conservatives and Bill Clinton. I've heard Conservatives react to Bill Clinton the way potassium reacts to water. It's like instant, fiery reaction. It's an anger I can't understand.

For example, I was perusing Christianity Today's site and I came across a series of articles where Conservative Pastors across the country were condemning Billy Graham.

Billy Graham!

Why? Because at his Crusade in New York, he had the former president and his wife on stage with him, and he said some kind things about the former president.

In this scathing editorial, Rev. Rob Schenck, the president of the National Clergy Council tells Why I Walked Out on Billy Graham.

::Thought of the Day::
When you start criticizing Billy Graham, maybe you should check yourself.

I just have to keep remembering that Jesus got flack for seeing value in people the Pharisees wanted torched.

4 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

I remember hearing this story about Billy Graham a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself wow I didn’t see that one coming. But there it was Hillary endorsed for president and Bill sent on the evangelist tour. Again I thought to myself this is not the recommendations I would have made but like you said this is Billy Graham!!! Who am I to question and he probably knows Mr. and Mrs. Clinton better than I do. But anyways I was more intrigued by your post because of the Hitler comparison made. Jon was the first to show me the “Hitler Argument”. Check out this site it shows a list of people that have been compared to Hitler and so forth. Not that I am saying you were comparing Billy Graham or Social Religious Conservatives to Hitler, just that your blog made me think of this. http://beautifulatrocities.com/archives/2005/06/in_the_future_e.html

5:30 PM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

Yeah, teh Hitler argument is a good technique. It's pretty unfair though.

My point is not that people compare Clinton to Hitler, it's just that many people who are conservative have this knee-jerk reaction to even the sound of his name, which struck me as the way that most people react to the name of "Hitler." meaning, this guy is ALL bad.

My point is that that's just not fair.

Cindy Crawford, though, is worse than Hitler. I think we'd all agree.

And Celine Dion.

7:32 PM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

Thanks for the link, too, Russell. Pretty funny stuff.

7:35 PM

 
Blogger David Tieche said...

And Russell and JeffRev have been granted VIP status to the Tieche Blog for frequent reader and commenter status.

Welcome to the Gold Club, gentlemen.

DAT

7:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home