Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dobson: Global Warming A Red-Herring From Real Issues of Gay-marriage and Abortion

This post might sound like a position paper, but it's more of a rant based on my frustrations.

I read this today. It's a response to a letter from James Dobson to the NEA about their campaign to raise awareness of global warming as a Christian moral issue. Dobson and Co said that it distracts from the real issues, which are gay marriage and abortion.

Dobson's letter made my stomach turn.

In regard to the environment, I'm totally unable to grasp why careful examination of massive human behavior in regard to pollution is unacceptable to so many Christians. One of my uncles is this way - his acerbic attacks on global warming and Al Gore's movie are jarring. It's like he doesn't think there really is any evidence that global warming exists and that it could have bad potential effects. I have the feeling that scientists are growing tired of religion not because it isn't valid, but because the "it doesn't matter what the facts are, as long as I believe" mentality of some religious people is seen as a virtue when juxtaposed against scientific fact. It's annoying. I'm no scientist, but the scientists I do know are worried. And with the sheer numbers of people on this planet, it seems that if we aren't careful about this, it would be like pooping in our own bed. Pretty soon it's going to get unbearable.

I read this report about the human pollution in Tehran. It's so bad, it's literally killing people. My friend Nicky just got back from China, where 19 of 35 member in her party came back with bronchial infections from the pollution. And they were only there 10 days. It's not about the environment (though I think God holds us responsible) so much as it is about people having clean air and water. How is this not a moral priority?

And I don't certaintly don't understand at all why people who call themselves "pro-life" have shockingly little concern for kids who are ALREADY BORN, both in the inner city and in impoverished nations. I'm definately not saying it's one or the other - but if you're talking raw numbers, then 15 million AIDS orphans in Africa should tip the scales, at least a bit. At least mention it. And when you're talking policies, it seems to me that US international policy is really important, and should be the focus of Christian political groups.

I was talking about this with my buddy the other day, and he was saying that the reason why some abortion gets the loudest voice in some Christian's rhetoric is because nobody is against feeding the poor, therefore the unborn need energetic help to be protected.

The more and more I've thought about that, the more I disagree. I think that people might give lip service to helping the poorest children in the world, but it's an issue of motivation and focused mobilization. And church leaders have a responsibility to motivate and mobilize their people in ways that actually bring God's kingdom to pass. I honestly see no concern in Christ's teachings at all about making sure to get "our guy elected" or "make sure this law passes." He says, "Do something and be something."

It seems that's where the misplaced priorities are.

I welcome any comments or thoughts. What do you think? Am I right? Am I wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home